Levetiracetam (By injection)
Keppra, PremierPro Rx levETIRAcetam, levETIRAcetam NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to levetiracetam.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Your doctor will give you a few doses of this medicine until your condition improves, and then switch you to an oral medicine that works the same way. If you have any concerns about this, talk to your doctor.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or a history of depression or mental illness.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Changes in mood or behavior
- Serious skin reactions
- Problems with muscle control or coordination
- Decreased numbers of blood cells
- This medicine may make you dizzy, drowsy, or clumsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely. Your seizures may return or occur more often if you stop using this medicine too quickly.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Behavior changes, depression, hostility, irritability, restlessness, trouble concentrating, moodiness, or thoughts of hurting yourself
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Extreme sleepiness, tiredness, or weakness
- Problems with balance, coordination, or walking
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Decreased appetite, diarrhea, or vomiting
- Dizziness or headache
- Neck pain
- Stuffy or runny nose, cough, sore throat
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019