Probiotic (By mouth)
May increase the number of healthy bacteria in your stomach and intestines.
5X Probiotic, Abatinex, Acidophilus Probiotic Blend, Adult Probiotic, Align, Azo Complete Feminine Balance, BD Lactinex, Bacid, Bifidonate, BioGaia, BioGaia Gastrus, Culturelle, Culturelle Advanced Immune Defense, Culturelle Digestive Health Probiotic, Culturelle Health & Wellness ProbioticThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to a probiotic, such as acidophilus, bifidobacterium, lactobacillus, saccharomyces, or streptococcus thermophilus.
How to Use This Medicine:
Capsule, Delayed Release Capsule, Liquid, Powder, Tablet, Stick, Spray, Chewable Tablet, Coated Tablet, Wafer
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Tablet or delayed-release capsule: Swallow whole. Do not chew, crush, or break.
- Powder: Be careful to not breathe in the powder, because it may bother your lungs. Do not get the powder on your skin. If you mix the powder in food or liquid, do this right before you take the medicine. Do not mix it and then save it for later.
- Chewable tablet or wafer: Chew it completely before you swallow.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Some brands must be stored in the refrigerator, and some other brands must be stored at room temperature. Follow the directions on the label. Ask your pharmacist if you are not sure how to store your medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Different brands of this medicine will have different warnings, because the specific ingredients will be different. Read the label on your medicine carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you are allergic to milk, lactose, yeast, or soy.
- Ask your doctor before you use this medicine if you have a central line (port or catheter), or if you have a fever.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea, constipation, nausea, or vomiting
- Mild gas or cramps
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019